Political Science Research Topics for College Students
Choosing a research topic in political science is easy if you know how to go about it, what areas to focus on, and what it entails. You will get all of these details in this article. We have compiled the different areas of political science and what they entail to enable you to choose a topic with ease. We have also included a guide on how to choose a research topic in political science.
How to Choose the Right Political Science Research Topic?
When writing a project in political science, there are some areas you have to consider to have a smooth ride. Picking a research topic requires much thought and considerations. Here are some essential points to note when choosing a research topic in political science;
· Choose the area that interests you
Choose an area that holds your interest. While researching, there might be difficulties, but your interest will motivate you to keep working.
· Consider access to materials
In your study, you will need books, journals, and articles. You will need to interview people. Having access to these information sources is necessary.
· Discuss with your supervisor
You might have an idea of what you want to do, but discussing with your supervisor will open your eyes to different aspects of your chosen topic. Your supervisor is the expert who can help you look at things from a more grounded perspective.
Interesting Political Science Research Topics
- What is the motivation for people’s political behavior
- How is the conflict resolved in the 21st century?
- Is capital punishment necessary?
- Do political institutions perform up to expectations?
- Is democracy practiced as it should?
- Can conflict between nations be completely resolved?
- Are gendered roles reversible?
- Can a society overcome patriarchy?
- Do two countries mutually benefit from international relations?
- Are political leaders worthy of their monetary gains?
- What is the reality of human rights protection?
- Do the media help the government?
- Are theories adequate in analyzing political issues?
- What shapes people’s political behaviors and beliefs?
- What type of government is better in practice?
Comparative Politics Topics
Topics in this area require qualitative methods of research. You will need books, journals, anthologies, and articles published online. Your focus on this kind of research topic in political science can be national and international. Additionally, political science topics for research in comparative politics call for active information gathering methods like interviews.
- Compare the political methods in the US with those in the UK.
- Constitutional differences between the US and the UK
- Political behavioral patterns in different regions
- Similarities and differences in the electoral systems of different regions
- Historical political patterns of different regions or countries
- Comparative behavioral belief in different regions
- Democratic rule in different countries
- Compare regional and national governments
- Political opinion on government decisions
- Responses of different governments to migration issues in the US
- Human rights protection in different countries
- Economic laws in different countries and their effect on trade
- Policies and decisions in different countries
- Compare and contracts the constitution in the countries
- A political belief in different parties
- Compare political opinions and behavior of different groups
- Impact of globalization on different sectors in the society
Political Philosophy Topics
Researches in this area are some of the best political science research topics you can come up with for Ph.D., bachelor’s degree and undergraduate term papers.
- How do ethics influence how society functions?
- How are societal laws administered and maintained?
- What is the evolution of inequality?
- Plato’s submission on justice and its impact on the legislature,
- impact of the renaissance on peoples’ political behavior
- What was the dominant philosophy during the Enlightenment era?
- The role of Jean Jacques Rousseau in the French revolution
- The impact of science on politics in the 18th century
- Discuss Thomas Hobbes’ impact on the societal political disposition
- The practice of democracy today
- How is human rights protected today?
- Maintaining civic responsibilities and social behavior
- A critical examination of Plato’s The Republic
- A view of justice from Plato’s perspective
- Compare philosophers’ impact on politics
Political Behavior and Identities Topics
- What are the people’s political attitudes towards the present administration?
- What is the dominant political belief?
- What are the people’s political preferences?
- What is the disposition of a group towards political matters?
- How can the identity of an individual determine their behavior towards politics?
- How does a group’s social identity affect their political behaviors?
- What is the political psychology of the masses?
- How does an administration shape the people’s political perception?
- What is the effect of different administrations on the psyche of the masses?
- The people’s attitude towards elections
- What is the dynamics of a party’s campaign
- Why won’t people vote?
- What are the dynamics of the country’s electoral processes?
- What is the origin of this behavior?
- What is the nature of political campaigns?
Political Institutions Topics
- Government policies on migration and its impact on international relations
- Government trade policies and the implication for the economy
- Political leaders and strategies for public relations
- How social systems function
- Ethics of political administrations
- An examination of institutionalism
- How does public opinion impact political institutions?
- Social movements and their impact on political behavior
- Compare political parties and their adherence to ethics
- How political institutions influence societal political belief
- Examine societal political interest in reference to political parties
- How does institutionalism determine political stability in society?
- How political institutions shape political ideology
- Examine new institutionalism and its dynamic nature
- How does activism influence political ideology?
- Impact of political organizations on society
Political Methodology Topics
- You can examine various empirical approaches to political science.
- You can study political areas with different statistical models
- Apply linear regression to your study
- Apply social network analysis to your study
- Analyze citizens’ behavioral changes with political socialization
- Study the patterns of white supremacy
- Study immigrants disposition to politics in their host countries
- Analyze party identification and individual behavior
- Study citizens political beliefs in relation to governmental administrations
- Human rights violation and societal reactions
- Analyze voters disposition to election results
- Impact of capital punishment on criminal’s character reformation
- How do countries in debt manage economic resources?
- What motivates an individual’s attitude to policies?
- A dichotomy in immigrants and citizen’s experience
Political Theory Topics
Research topics in political science focusing on political theory require an in-depth study of theoretical postulations on different areas of politics. Some topic ideas are:
- A study on the psychology of politics
- Psychoanalytic study of people’s political behaviors
- Apply cognitive neuroscience to your studies.
- Apply social research to your study
- Apply the theory of positivism to your studies
- Apply the theory of institutionalism to your studies
- Proponents and tenets of behavioralism
- Apply the theory of structuralism to your studies
- Apply the theory of interpretive theory to your studies
- Apply the theory of behavioralism to your studies
- Examine Aristotle’s theory on governance
- Study Edmund Burke’s contribution to classic theory
- Examine the evolution of politics in your country
- Examine the evolution of anarchism and prominent figures around it
- Examine constructivism and its application to politics
Current Research Topics in Political Science
- Police operations and mass revolts
- Insecurities as indices of a fragile state
- Governmental administration and its impact on different groups
- Examine the network of countries and its impact on a country’s growth
- Policies on trade and its implication on the economy
- How does commerce strengthen countries’ bonds?
- Impact of technology on youth development in a country
- Impact of technology on socio-economic growth in a country
- Technological advancement in agriculture and its impact on the world economy
- How scholarship for international students strengthen cultural unity and diversity
- Migration policies on world relations
- Policies on taxation and citizens’ compliance
- Peace and conflict between two countries
- Economic impacts of bushfires in Australia
- Covid-19 pandemic and the new normal
American Politics Topics
- How have the liberal arts impacted American politics?
- History of American politics since independence
- The history of America up till independence
- What are the influences of Christianity on American politics?
- The dynamics of elections in America
- Compare different administrations American government
- The realization of democracy
- The dynamics of public law
- Constitutional amendments and actualization
- Dynamics of budget allocation
- What are the issues surrounding taxes?
- Human rights and freedom in Barack Obama’s regime
- Migration policies in Donald Trump’s regime
- American migration laws and international relations
- American political partisanship and its dynamics
International Relations Topics
Issues in international relations often make for easy political science research topics at the undergraduate and Master’s level.
- Globalization and international relations
- Refuges in foreign countries
- Impact of international trade and policies on international relations
- Human rights protection in host countries
- Impact of public relations on economic growth
- Compare the foreign aid policies of different countries
- Gender discourse in public affairs
- Foreign aids and economic growth
- Immigrant experience in host countries
- Civic responsibilities in foreign countries
- Trade organizations and global impacts
- Foreign intervention in conflict resolution
- Policy formation and global considerations
- Feminist perspectives on international relations
- Theory of international relations and social realization
Political Economy Topics
Topics that cut across politics and the economy are always at the forefront in leading issues. There are numerous political science research topic ideas in this area. including:
- Politic and economic representation in the media
- How is a government’s political agenda achieved through its economic policies
- Impact of budget allocation on the education sector
- Examine an administration’s financial management
- How commerce boosts the political economy
- How politics impact economic growth
- Media representation of politics and its impact on economic growth
- The role of immigration in political economy
- Crucial discourse in political economy
- How does economic growth impact politics
- Theories of political economy
- Impact of the crisis on politics and economy
- Impact of public behavior on political economy
- The economic impact of election campaigns and voting
- The theoretical approach to the study of political economy
Political science is a broad and exciting field of study. You can get Political science research questions from different areas. Areas ranging from political theory to political institutions and political behavior and identity are exciting places to look for a research topic.